How it works
Follow our easy, 2-step application process.
- Apply for the program here.
- Within 24 Business Hours, you'll receive an email letting you know if you've been accepted. If we are not able to place you into a Writer's Suite, your application fee will be refunded. If you are matched into a Suite, your email will have a link for you to set up your monthly subscription plan.
What you get in a Writer's Suite:
- 3-5 Writing partners who are committed to writing, reading and critiquing for the next 90 days.
- Have your work personally reviewed by Kerry Connelly at least 2 times per month
- Workshop your best pieces for publication on DoveWriters Magazine, our online blog
What's expected of you:
Writer's Suites only work if you do. Therefore, when you commit to a suite, you are agreeing to show up for the next 90 Days by:
- Writing, editing, and honing your own work, and sharing it in your Writer's Suite Folder each Monday.
- Reading the work of your writing partners, and offering honest, constructive criticism according to the Writer's Suite Rules.
- A lowered guard: this is meant to be a safe place to hone your craft. Your work is not supposed to be perfect here. This is your workshop and your work should be in less than perfect form! No pressure! What happens after I apply?
After you submit your application, you'll hear back, usually within 24 hours, once you've been accepted.
After you are accepted into the DoveWriters program, you'll be placed into a Writer's Suite, which is a group of 4-6 writers who will work together over the course of a three-month "Write-In". While we can not guarantee any matches, we do our best to match, for example, conservative poetry writers with each other, and progressive personal essayists together as well.
Once you are placed in a Suite, you'll receive an email sharing a folder with you. Inside that folder, you'll find the following:
- Your document (it'll have your name on it!) with the dates in which you are to post your writing each Monday.
- Your Writing Partner's documents (they'll have their names on them), in which your Writing Partners will write and you will comment.
- Special surprises every once in a while.
What else do I need to know?
In order to participate, you'll need a Google email account (gmail) and access to Google Drive. It's free and super easy to set up and use. The sign on info you use for this account will also allow you to access your Writer's Suite folder, and your documents will all be on your Google drive.
On Monday, your work is due. Post the latest piece you'd like to workshop (remember, this is a workshop, so your work does not need to be perfect to post!). Spend the week reading everyone else's work in your suite, and comment on it using our Rules of Critique before Friday. Then, on Friday, come back and read everyone's comments on your own work. You can post a new piece each Monday, or just keep workshopping the same one.
That's it! It's simple, it's easy, and it's about community.
And best of all, you'll write.